Family House is so much more than just an affordable place to sleep. After a long day at the hospital, Family House provides the warmth of a family environment and the companionship of new friends who are experiencing similar situations.
Our four houses are located within close proximity to West Penn Hospital and most UPMC facilities, with grocery stores and restaurants nearby.
Each of the houses is equipped with many of the comforts of home, including:
- Comfortable television lounges, as well as cable television in each guest room
- Wireless internet access and guest computers
- Bed and bath linens
- On-site laundry facilities
- Communal kitchens with large cooking and dining areas and individual pantries for each guest room
- Private telephone line with voice mail in each guest room
- Exercise rooms
- Library areas with ample reading material
- 24-hour security
- Manager on premise at all times
Courtesy shuttles provided by the UPMC Health System operate regularly throughout the morning and early evening. Hard copies of our shuttle schedule are provided at each house.
The EQT Family House Compressed Natural Gas Shuttle is also available. Please ask the house manger for a schedule.
In addition to housing, Family House and our volunteer groups organize activities to offer diversion and entertainment to patients and families. Seasonal holidays, movie nights, pancake breakfasts, spaghetti dinners and similar events are regular features at each Family House. Tickets to area cultural and sporting events are often donated and distributed to guests. Hospital Pastoral and Social Work programs cooperate closely with Family House to ensure that guests receive appropriate emotional and spiritual support.Note: Family House does not provide medical services, although visiting nurses may come to Family House by appointment. Each patient must have an adult caregiver. See our Guidelines for more information.